1. Home
  2. »
  3. Deadbeat Parent
  4. »


by | Jan 7, 2011 | Child Support, Deadbeat Parent

What do you do when the non-custodial parent owns his own business and is chronically late in paying child support? If he had a job at a company, it would be easy —  the Court would enter an Order of Assignment, and the support monies would be paid by his employer to the Court Clearinghouse and deducted from his paycheck. But when the person owns his own business and controls the purse strings, how can the Court make sure he pays his support? Here’s one way:

Arizona Revised Statutes, Section 25-503.1 provides that “on a showing of good cause, the court may order that a self-employed parent who is required to make child support payments forward an amount equal to not more than six months of child support to the department to hold as security.” 

This section only applies when the self-employed parent is behind in his child support payments for three months or more.

There are other remedies for making a deadbeat parent pay child support, and we will be discussing them in future blogs.

If your life is being made difficult because you are not receiving your child’s support, we can help you. Contact us for a consultation through our website at / or give us a call at 602-922-9989.

This blog is presented for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice pertaining to your particular case, nor should it be considered to have created an attorney-client relationship. For matters involving child support enforcement, it is recommended that you contact an attorney for a legal consultation. At the law firm of Gary J. Frank P.C., we have 30 years of experience representing people in all matters pertaining to Family Law, including both litigation and mediation. For more information on our firm, take a look at our web site: www.famlawaz.com.

Let's Discuss Your Case - We're Here For You.

When dealing with a family matter issue, you do not have to go at it alone. Schedule your comprehensive attorney consultation now and we can discuss the entire case.

Let's Discuss Your Case - We're Here For You.

When dealing with a family matter issue, you do not have to go at it alone. Give us a call and we can discuss the entire case during a comprehensive attorney consultation.

Client Reviews

Very honest

November 2009 I retained Mr. Frank almost two years to represent me in a visitation modification filed by my ex-husband. Mr. Frank quickly and efficiently became familiar with my case and was very honest about all the potential results that could occur. I truly feel that Mr. Frank had my children’s best interests in mind…

– Judy K